2011-09-17

Words Versus Qualia

“What word expresses the feelings I have when I'm singing to my dog?”
“Are you talking about love?”
“He's a large mammal. So of course there's love.”
“(How about chickens?)”
“(Well, yeah, but not as much as dogs.)”
“Cuteness?”
“That's not a real word for a feeling. Anyway, no.”
“Nurture impulse?”
“That's there, but there's more.”
“Protectiveness?”
“Yes, but there's more.”
“Wurflecopter?”
“What!?”
“That's the word I say to my dog, and only to my dog.”
“It expresses a feeling?”
“It accompanies a feeling.”
“Does she know that?”
“She wags her tail when I say it.”
“So she knows?”
“She also wags her tail when I say the word 'phenomenology'.”
“What does the word mean, then?”
“'Phenomenology'?”
“No, no, everybody knows what that means. What does your 'wurflecopter' mean?”
“Maybe it's the same as you feel when you sing to your dog.”
“Can I borrow your word?”
“Sure. But I'm pretty sure you'll be using it wrong.”
“Says who?”
“Says me. It's my word, and only I know what the true meaning is.”
“It's not a very good word, then, is it?”
“No. I guess it's like the word 'love'.”
“What? Everybody knows what 'love' is!”
“You said you love chicken.”
“No, I said I love chickens. As beings, not food. And not as much as dogs.”
“That's not love, then.”
“Says who?”
“Says me. I'm pretty sure you're using it wrong.”
“How is that possible? It's universal!”
“Universally misunderstood?”
“I'd love to set you right about this, but ...”
“Stop! You're hurting my brain!”
“What does that feel like?”
“I have no way to tell you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment